Thursday, June 27, 2013

Where is Page 100?



 I  find page 100 in a book an exciting thing, maybe more exciting than actually finishing the book.  Even if the book has 800 pages, page 100 is the most exciting milestone.  As I was approaching the 100th page in a book I was recently reading I starting thinking about the benchmarks I work towards in a book.  Much like when I run, I look for a landmark in the distance to give me something to focus on and work for.  After I meet that goal, I look off in the distance and find another landmark and so the pattern goes.  In a book I do the same thing.  I start by going chapter by chapter.  Then, as I get to page 60 or 70 I set my sights on page 100.  At this point, I am most likely to "hit the wall" and give up.  Once I hit that glorious centennial page, I get a renewed sense of purpose and my second wind.  I then start setting my sights on the halfway mark, then three quarters and finally, the finish line.   


I have also been reading a book on my iPad.  I love how, when I swipe the page, it turns like a real page.  I also love how I can change the font size and page color.  I even like that it tells me how may pages are left in the chapter.  It is very handy to be able to copy and past text, take notes in the book, and even post a quote from the book on Facebook straight from the app.  I can also carry multiple books with me at the same time.  Another great thing is that if I am out and want to read, I can open the book on my iPhone and pick up where I left off on my iPad.  Despite all of this, it still doesn't show me the benchmarks that I commonly look for in a book.  Even though there is the little progress bar at the bottom, I don’t get to see the bookmark move through the book.  I don't get the joy of reaching that 100th page because the page numbers change depending on the font size. 


I was recently asked which ereader I think is best.  I think they all have their pluses and minuses.  I love my iPad and my wife loves her kindle fire hd.  I have friends who have Nooks and love them as well.  These are great because they function more as a portable computer than simply an ereader but they can really strain the eyes.  The more simple ereaders such as the Kindle Paperwhite fix the eye strain issue, but lack the other functions found on the more advanced tablets.  In the end, though I love my iPad, there isn't a substitute for a real, tangible, book made of paper or the feeling of reaching that 100th page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment